APRIL IS DISTRACTED DRIVING AWARENESS MONTH
The fight to end distracted driving starts with you. Make the commitment to drive phone-free today.
Distracted driving kills and injures thousands of people each year. I pledge to:
- Protect lives by never texting or talking on the phone while driving.
- Be a good passenger and speak out if the driver in my car is distracted.
- Encourage my friends and family to drive phone-free.
Download The Pledge
IMPORTANT WARNING - PHONE SCAMS
The California State Sheriffs’ Association Foundation (CSSAF) has been recently advised that citizens have received suspicious phone calls that appear to be coming from either our main number 916.375.8000 or our fax number 916.375.8017. This scam involves callers posing as law enforcement and threatening legal action if you do not pay them. If you receive any suspicious calls, DO NOT give out any personal information, such as social security number, bank account numbers, etc., and report these calls to your local law enforcement agency immediately.
“Please be advised that the California State Sheriffs’ Association Foundation does not solicit by phone,” said CSSA President, Sheriff Adam Christianson.
Information on California Peace Officer Memorial
The California Peace Officers Memorial Foundation is a non-profit charitable foundation whose mission is to recognize and honor Californias peace officers who gave their lives In The Line of Duty serving the citizens of this great state, and provide support to the family members left behind. Below is the May Ceremonial Schedule, list of all officers to be honored as well as CA State income tax donation information.
List of Honored Officers
LONG-TERM OFFENDERS IN COUNTY JAILS
CSSA SURVEY (as of 4/25/14)
AB 109 REALIGNMENT INFORMATION
AB 109 (Chapter 15, Statutes of 2011) became effective on October 1, 2011. Beginning on October 1 all qualifying low level offenders convicted of non-serious, non-violent, non-sex offenses will begin serving their sentence at the local level rather than in state prison.
Below we have gathered information that has been distributed to our membership regarding realignment. Additionally, we have provided links to other helpful websites related to realignment.
Video - Criminal Justice Realignment - What Counties Need To Know To Implement
Note: Viewers may need to download an add-on to PowerPoint to view. Instructions are on the video page.
Criminal Justice Realignment Implementing Legislation
- California Counties Practice Smart Justice by CSAC
- Voices from the Field: How California Stakeholders View Public Safety Realignment by Joan Petersilia. Stanford Criminal Justice Center, November 2013. This report summarizes the results of interviews conducted with California stakeholders responsible for implementing AB 109.
- Follow the Money: How California Counties Are Spending Their Public Safety Realignment Funds by Jeffrey Lin and Joan Petersilia. Stanford Criminal Justice Center, November 2013. This report examines how counties are spending their money, and the relationship between their discretionary spending choices and county-level differences in crime, political context, community attitudes, economic vitality, and other important demographic and social factors.
- Napa County Jail to Provide Video Visitation for Inmates, Families
By mid-March, friends and family of inmates at the Napa County Jail will visit using video and the Internet, thanks to a video visitation system. Similar to popular Internet applications such as FaceTime and Skype, the video visitation program provides the opportunity for family and friends to connect with inmates regardless of distance and with more flexibility in scheduling.
- Joint Venture Program URL
- CALREALIGNMENT.ORG -The CALrealignment.org website was developed as part of a state-wide conference on criminal justice realignment that was held on September 21 in Sacramento. The website will continue to present information on best practices, assist counties to access technical assistance providers, and make available county realignment plans as they are approved.